Mental health resources

Posted 10 months ago

A list of services and resources to use if you need help

If you need immediate help

If you're worried that you, or someone you know, may be a danger to themselves or others then please seek help immediately by calling 999. You can also call the University Crisis Team in a crisis situation on 0141 330 4444, however if you require the emergency services as well you should call them first.

University Services

Counselling & psychological service
CaPS is a service designed to help students with mild to moderate needs to manage their mental health. They offer focused blocks of therapy, subject to assessment, and single session consultations for listening to specific issues. Their website also has links to self-help resources and other relevant mental health services.

Residence Life
If you live in UofG accommodation you have access to your Residence Life Team, who can provide a listening ear, are trained in Mental Health First Aid, and can help signpost you to services that are relevant to you. They're on call from 6pm to 8am on weekdays, and 24 hours at weekends.

  • Murano Street Student Village
  • Kelvinhaugh Residences
  • Queen Margaret Residences
  • Student Apartments
  • Maclay Residences
  • Wolfson Hall
  • Lister House
  • Dumfries Residences

Peer wellbeing support
The Peer Support Programme provides a confidential student-led listening service, allowing students to talk and share their problems and receive support from trained Peer Wellbeing Supporters. Some of the issues people come to Peer Support to talk about include: anxiety, stress, isolation and loneliness, dealing with change, relationship problems, homesickness, financial stress, academic concerns, etc.

Interfaith chaplaincy
The University Chaplain welcomes all students, offering pastoral care and a calm space at the heart of campus. A Chaplain is someone independent you can talk to in confidence, who can provide support and advice at times of stress and crisis. They are also available to help explore spirituality.

Disability service
If you have a chronic mental health condition you can register with the University's Disability Service. While they cannot directly help with your mental health, they can ensure that appropriate support is arranged for you during your time at UofG.

Student Unions

Students' Representative Council

Glasgow University Sports Association

Queen Margaret Union

External services


  • Call 116 123

Breathing Space

  • Call 0800 83 85 87 (Mon-Thu 6pm-2am, Fri 6pm-Mon 6am)


  • Use your glasgow university email to sign up for free

NHS services

Other resources & services